I had a great time giving a talk on what Christian Chivalry is and ways to teach it to your student at the El Paso Homeschool Conference last weekend.
Chivalry is vastly more than good manners, it is a way of living: it is Christian servanthood. Leon Gautier originally codified 10 commandments of chivalry from Middle Ages chivalry, and I have modernized them for us today.
Below are the 10 commandments, and you can download here some ideas for teaching them to your students.
The question was asked during my talk if I knew of any good resources for teaching chivalry in a modern setting. I honestly have not found many at all. I have found a webpage and an online group created to revive chivalry today. I don’t know a lot about this group and get the impression they are not Christian.
Because I am not aware of a good source for studying Ancient Code chivalry from the Christian perspective it was created to function (other than Leon Gautier’s book)I created my own elementary and high school chivalry studies for students.
The 10 Commandments of chivalry in a modernized language
- You shall believe and obey the Bible, and devote yourself to Christ.
- You shall defend the church.
- You shall be gentle to those weaker than you, and become their selfless defender wherever you find them
- You shall love your country.
- You shall not recoil before the enemy.
- You shall make ceaseless war against the enemies of Truth, and relentlessly work to take the gates of hell by storm.
- You shall faithfully perform your responsibilities and shall honor all your commitments.
- You shall be trustworthy and keep your word.
- You shall be generous and give largesse to everyone.
- You shall be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.